22 Oct 5 Simple gluten-free recipes for busy parents
Did you know: Symptoms of Celiac Disease can appear at any age after Gluten is introduced into the diet, and the only proven way to effectively manage this condition is to commit to lifelong Gluten-free eating habits? According to the Celiac Disease Foundation, children who have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease are likely to respond well to these Gluten-free diets and may experience a major improvement in symptoms within just 2 weeks of beginning one. For parents who do not have this disease themselves or have not had much experience with the Gluten-free lifestyle, eliminating Gluten from their child’s diet can seem like a major adjustment to make. Luckily, many restaurants now include plenty of Gluten-free options, and there are several flavorful recipes out there that are simple to make and delicious to eat! This week, we asked our very own Registered Dietitian, Marisa Persky, to share some of her favorites:
- ½ cup ranch dressing ( hidden valley)
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 1oz taco seasoning packet (McCormick)
- 1 TBS mild chunky salsa
- 2 Cups Rotisserie chicken or boiled chicken breast, shredded
- 8 (6in) Corn Tortillas
- 1 chopped Tomato
- 4 Green Onions Sliced
- 4oz Black Olives
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Cup Monterey jack cheese
- Step 1
Combine ranch dressing, sour cream, 1 teaspoon taco seasoning, and salsa in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Step 2
Toss chicken with remaining taco seasoning. Cover bowl loosely with wax paper or plastic wrap. Microwave chicken until chicken is heated through, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Step 3
Warm tortillas in a skillet for about a minute on each side to make them pliable. Place a scoop of chicken on the tortilla and top with lettuce, tomato, green onion, olives, avocado, cheese, and a spoonful of the ranch dressing mixture.
2. Homemade Gluten-Free Dressing:
- 1 cup dry parsley flakes
- 2 tbsp dry dill weed
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp onion salt
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup light sour cream
- In a bowl, combine the spices until well blended. Store the dry mix in an air-tight jar or plastic container after using.
- In a blender or large bowl, add one-quarter cup of dry mix to the wet ingredients and blend well until smooth.
This dressing will last in the refrigerator up to 3-5 days.
***These ingredients should not have gluten by themselves; however, it’s advisable that you double-check labels since they could have been in contact with gluten-containing foods at a factory.
- 1 head cauliflower scored and separated into florets
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 1/2 ounce finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
Prep Time: 15min, Cook Time: 45min, Ready in: 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Puree cauliflower in a food processor until finely ground.
- Cook ground cauliflower, water, and salt together in a skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant and most of the water evaporates, 5 to 6 minutes. Cool completely.
- Transfer cauliflower to the center of a clean dish towel. Wrap and squeeze tightly to remove all excess moisture. You should have about 1 1/2 cups cauliflower pulp.
- Stir cauliflower, goat cheese, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, egg, and cayenne pepper together in a bowl to form a soft dough. Gather dough into a ball and place in the center of the prepared baking sheet. Press dough into circle about 1/4-inch thick.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown and set, about 40 minutes. Cool and turn crust over before topping.
- Add your favorite toppings- pineapple, Applegate uncured turkey pepperoni, veggies, etc
4) Banana Bread Recipe
- 2 cups Namaste Foods Perfect Flour Blend
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1/2 tsp gluten-free vanilla
- Heat oven to 325 °F. Lightly spray 9×5 loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the Perfect Flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl mix together the canola oil and sugars. Add eggs, mashed bananas, and vanilla, stirring until well blended. Fold in the dry ingredients and walnuts (if using).
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for approximately 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Transfer loaf to wire cooling rack to cool before serving.
- 1 17 oz box Gluten FreePillsbury™ Funfetti® Premium Cake Mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil
- Optional ingredients- Pillsbury™ Frosting sprinkles and edible flowers
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray, parchment paper, or baking mat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir cookie ingredients together. Mixture will be crumbly and somewhat dry.
- Tightly press dough into 1 inch balls, flatten some into a cookie shape and lay on baking sheet, about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for about 10 minutes.
- Once cookies have cooled completely, feel free to get creative and decorate with frosting, sprinkles, etc.
- All Pillsbury Frostings are gluten-free.
***To schedule an appointment with our Pediatric Registered Dietitian, Marisa Persky, please call 224-707-8893.