The journal of Contemporary Pediatrics recently published the following tips for a good night’s and a safe night’s sleep for your baby.
- Don’t smoke and don’t allow visitors to smoke in your house.
- Arrange a separate sleeping place for your baby.
- If you take the baby into your bed to nurse, put him back in his own bed when he is finished.
- Don’t let your baby sleep in an adult water bed, on a “bean bag” sleeping cushion, or a sheepskin.
- Keep the room where your baby sleeps comfortably warm, not hot, and don’t use heavy blankets that restrict movement.
- Make sure the crib has bars that are close together so the baby’s head can’t get caught. Also fill in any spaces between the mattress and the crib sides.
- Put your baby to sleep on his back.