10 Dec The One Thing You Need for Healthy Traveling this Winter Break
As winter break nears, so do the travel plans of many. While it’s easy to become overwhelmed with excitement, it’s vital to remember that not only is it important to think about health and safety throughout your trip, but it should also be on your mind before that trip even arrives! Because of this, scheduling a visit to your local travel clinic prior to your trip is highly recommended, and we have compiled a list of everything you need to know about booking an appointment before you and your family embark on your winter excursion!
Why should I book an appointment at a travel clinic and what can I expect at my visit?
- Some vaccines may need to be ordered or given a certain amount of time before travel.
- During the visit, we will be sure regular vaccines are up-to-date and administer any travel-related vaccines.
- Depending on which country you are traveling to, we can prescribe medication to prevent diseases like malaria.
- We will also discuss tips and options for repelling mosquitos, preventing sunburn, common conditions and diseases that may occur with traveling, and answer any other travel-related questions you might have.
What should I know before booking an appointment at a travel clinic?
- A good place to start and see what you might need is the CDC Travel Website. Visit https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel and look up the country. From there you can get an idea of what you might need before traveling.
- There is currently a shortage of Yellow Fever vaccine. Please speak with your primary care provider to find out where you can get vaccinated if you’re traveling to a country where Yellow Fever is a concern
- It is recommended that you schedule your travel clinic appointment about 4-6 weeks ahead of your departure. If you are traveling in less than four weeks, make sure to call and book your appointment as soon as possible.
Please note: Recently, insurance companies stopped covering travel visits. We charge $75 for the visit. An advantage of coming to us is that we can bill any vaccines to the insurance company, while other travel clinics will charge a fee for the visit and charge you for the vaccines.
To schedule, an appointment at our Travel Clinic (located at Elm Street Pediatrics in Winnetka), call 847-501-4040.
*Other select PediaTrust locations offer pre-travel visits, but may not have all necessary vaccines on hand. Please check with your pediatrician to see if they are offered at your local PediaTrust office.